Action NC is a grassroots community organization that empowers low to moderate-income communities to take action and win victories on issues of concern to our communities. Our priorities include: better housing conditions for tenants, living wages for low-wage workers, affordable health care, more investment in our communities from banks and governments, comprehensive immigration reform, and better public schools. We achieve these goals by building community organizations that have the power to win changes -- through community direct action, negotiation, legislation, and voter participation.
Fair & Affordable Housing
- We take on slum landlords and force them to make repairs and treat renters right.
- We are fighting to stop predatory lenders – subprime mortgage lenders who take advantage of people with unnecessarily high interest rates and fees.
- We are working to pass legislation to make predatory lending illegal.
- We are working to help more parents have a voice in ensuring quality education for their kids.
- We are working to improve school facilities, stop school closings, upgraded school safety.
- We are fighting for quality public schools that give parents a voice and give children a good, complete education.
- We are working for more programs to fight drugs, ranging from more police foot patrols to better recreation facilities and quality after school programs.
- We are working to end blight in our neighborhoods – getting abandoned houses fixed up, cleaning up vacant lots, forcing the city to pick up trash, etc.
- We are fighting for neighborhoods where our children may play safely, where people may walk easily, and where families may live comfortably.
- We are empowering people in the fight for comprehensive immigration reform.
- Action NC is fighting hard to end the 287(g) program in North Carolina.
- Our membership is currently working hard, on the issue of separation of families, caused by ICE raids.
- Believing that gaining citizenship is only the first step to full participation, we run a strong Get Out the Vote program.
Issues come straight from the membership, because Action NC believes that social change comes from the bottom up. Members are black, white, and Latino families who take ownership of their issues, by organizing their own communities to take action and are active in running the organization, not just contributors or newsletter readers.