Like Tenant Rights? Click like below for better housing:
Fill out this form to get our help resolving your tenant complaint.
Here is some general advice for renters in North Carolina. Here is a pamplet you can print on your rights according to NC law. Click here for info on tenant rights in Charlotte. For other cities, please fill out our intake form to request our help.
Know Your Rights:
- Doors and windows must have locks that work
- A heating source must be provided
- No loose or exposed wiring
- No leaking plumbing
- Adequate ventilation (including screens on windows that are not nailed shut or inoperable)
- Smoke and carbon-monoxide detectors
- If there are no screens on windows and doors that open to the outside world, there must be a working air-conditioning unit. People have a right to heat; but they don't have a right to A/C, unless there is no screen on windows.
- If appliances are included with the apartment, they must be in operating condition (i.e. if the stove or fridge don't work, this is a violation.)
- See full list
North Carolina has state laws that cover the Landlord-Tenant relationship. Here is an index of landlord and tenant law. Here find a consolidated chapter on Landlord-tenant laws in NC. And here is the section on forced eviction (in both English and Spanish/Español).
Click here for a summary of a lease in Spanish/Español.