Despite overwhelming public opposition to their plans to repeal health care, which have been rejected by people in town hall meetings across the country and poll after poll, Republicans keep trying to take away our health care with a bill that is so bad, they have exempted themselves from it. Just like the last plan, it raises costs and cuts coverage and now it guts protections for people with preexisting conditions.
Here’s exactly what the latest version of the Republican health care repeal plan does:
- - Guts protections for people with preexisting conditions by eliminating the Affordable Care Act’s guarantee of affordable coverage, allowing insurance companies to charge people as much as they want.
- - Strips healthcare from 24 million people and raises premiums by 20 percent.
- Eliminates the guarantee that insurance companies cover maternity care, cancer treatments and substance abuse care.
- - Gives away $600 billion in tax cuts to the wealthiest Americans, including nearly $200,000 each in a single year for the wealthiest 0.1 percent of Americans.
- - Increases out-of-pocket costs for older Americans by as much as $12,900 and allows health insurance companies to charge older Americans five times more—effectively establishing an “Age Tax.
- - Guts Medicaid by $880 billion and ends the program as we know it, leading to the rationing of care for children, seniors, and people with disabilities.
- - Ends Medicaid expansion, meaning 11 million working families, children, people with disabilities, hard-working families, and seniors would have lost their insurance.
- Eliminates federal funding for Planned Parenthood, putting care for 2.5 million patients nationwide at risk.
- - Disproportionately hurts Americans living in rural areas, and in some cases would have caused a consumer’s plan to exceed their annual income.
Think this is an awful idea? Yea, so do we. Call your representative at 866-426-2631 and let them know that if the AHAC isn’t good enough for them, it isn’t good enough for us!