IMPORTANT: EVICTION MORATORIUM
If you are concerned about possible eviction while waiting to receive rent assistance, you may be eligible to complete the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) Eviction Moratorium Tenant Declaration form and give it to your landlord.
Executive order 171 outlines the details of the eviction ban. Governor Roy Cooper’s Executive Order 191 extended the eviction moratorium through March 31, 2021. The executive order protects renters in North Carolina from eviction due to non-payment of rent and supports the federal CDC Eviction Moratorium that is in effect through March 31, 2021. To protect yourself from eviction, you should follow the instructions linked below to complete the CDC form and provide it to your landlord. If you have already followed those steps and your landlord is still attempting to evict you, please contact Legal Aid of NC at 1-866-219-5262 or visit www.legalaidnc.org for assistance.
COVID-19 EMERGENCY RENT ASSISTANCE PROGRAMS
The applications for rent and utilities close at 5:00 PM March 15, 2021. They will reopen on April 1, 2021
If you're experiencing financial hardship with paying your rent due to COVID-19 (Coronavirus Pandemic) the Emergency Rent Assistance Program for the City of Charlotte (ERAP-CLT) may be able to assist you. ERAP-CLT is a partnership between the City of Charlotte and DreamKey Partners.
ERAP-CLT may be available to individuals and families who are experiencing a delay in making their rental payments due to COVID-19. Please note that due to limited funding, applications will be approved, and assistance will be provided on a first come, first served basis.
Curbside rent and utility assistance is available for Mecklenburg County residents at 500-A Spratt St, Monday - Friday from 8:30 am – 5:00 pm. Please review the list of documents you will need to bring to apply.
Mecklenburg County residents with access to email and internet may choose to apply online. Online requests are accepted during business hours until capacity is reached.
-The HOPE program is not accepting new applications at this time, but rent and utility payments for current eligible applicants continue to be processed.
-New federal COVID-19 relief funds are being used to fund an additional rent and utility assistance program. Details are being finalized and will be announced on this website.
-Current applicants who have not received an award should make sure they have submitted all required documents through the online Applicant Portal.
-Applicants should contact their assigned HOPE Program specialist with any questions.
Additional Rent and Utility Assistance Resources
The local programs listed below also provide rent and utility assistance. The NC 211 Resource database may also have a local program that can help you. In addition, you should check with local churches or community organizations to see if they have assistance available.
- Wake County residents: find out about assistance that may be available to you at housewake.org/.
- Mecklenburg County residents: find out about assistance that may be available to you at rampclt.com
- Greensboro residents: find out about assistance that may be available to you at Greensboro Housing Coalition.
- Wilmington residents: find out about assistance that may be available to you at Good Shepherd Wilmington Eviction Prevention Project.
- Asheville residents: find out about assistance that may be available to you at org and www.homewardboundwnc.org.
- Chapel Hill residents: find out about assistance that may be available to you at gov/HousingAssistance.
- High Point residents: find out about assistance that may be available to you by calling (336) 883-3111.
- Hickory residents: find out about assistance that may be available to you at ccmhickory.org.
- Cabarrus County residents: find out about assistance that may be available to you. at concordnc.gov/Departments/Housing.
- Burlington residents: find out about assistance that may be available to you by calling (336) 222-5070.
Housing & Tenant Rights
Please click here for information in English and Spanish about your rights, access, and frequently asked questions. // Por favor haga clic aquí para publicaciones sobre sus derechos, acceso, y preguntas frecuentes en español y en ingles.
The CDC is continually assessing the situation and providing recommendations. Find the most recent updates to ensure you are taking the proper precautions to help stop the spread of COVID-19.