Tell Senators Tillis and Burr: Stand up for working families. Stand up to Mitch McConnell who suggested states go bankrupt. Stand up for more federal stimulus to help our economy, our healthcare, and our public schools. Stand up to get North Carolina’s families back on our feet during a global pandemic.
North Carolina families are making big sacrifices and state and local governments are facing big cuts to basic services during this global pandemic. NC families need the U.S. Senate to pass the HEROES ACT to release more federal stimulus to support our economy, our healthcare, and our public schools. Why?
- New unemployment claims in NC skyrocketed from 3,533 on March 14th to 172,146 just two weeks later as COVID shut-down orders went into effect.
- North Carolina’s unemployment rate jumped from 4% in March to nearly 13% now.
- Over 54,000 North Carolinians have been infected by COVID-19. Over 1,200 have died.
- North Carolina faces a $5 BILLION state revenue shortfall as 75,000 NC residents have been added to the state’s Medicaid roles.
- North Carolina courts have ruled time and again that the state is chronically underfunding public schools, but the pandemic has thrown a huge wrench at efforts to boost education funding.
- Experts warn people of color will bear the brunt of budget cuts to public education.